Monday, June 30, 2008

The Pick-up Game!

It has now become a common occurrence... Every time we go shopping at one of the nearby Indian or any supermarket, one or another Indian couple with a big smile on the guy's face and a glib pick-up line approaches us..!

Let me tell you what happened the last time.. Me and my friend (roomie) were at India Cash & Carry buying some stuff.. our bi-weekly routine. This guy with his wife approached us (the wife seemed pretty young and enthusiastic.. she must be new at this game! ;-) And as soon as he opened his mouth, I knew what was coming "Hi.. you resemble one of my friends..."!!!!
Mez: yeah?!?!? [##$%^%*&*&^($#]
Hiz: Hi.. I am Rakesh [holding out his hand]..
Mez took one look at his face and another at her face... I did not want to disappoint the eager look in her's :P.. "Hi.. I am Bhaskar"
I think I saw a glow in her face ;-)
Hiz: Bashar? nice name....
Mez: [#@^#&*^**()@ ]... [nice name, it seems....at least pronounce my name properly!!!!]
Hiz: Where do you work?
Mez: [thinking to myself..."in the road-side gas station here"] blah blah blah...
Hiz: yada yada yada yada
Mez: blah blah blah blah
Hiz: yada yada..... can I have your phone number?
Mez: [thinking again... haan, aagayaa naaa... tu Amway/Quixtar waloon] [translated as... 'yeah, there you go... ya Amway/Quixtar guys']
I give them my cell number. And internally, I am laughing out aloud.... 'cos I have already become a member of this Quixtar thingy... (for a totally different reason... I will tell ya some other time!!)
More blah blahs and yada yadas... and we part amicably...

I go home and promptly, the next day evening, I get a call from this guy.... But, I did not pick up his call.... why? 'Cos I don't pick calls from guys who cannot pronounce my name right...!

-------------------------
Question of the day: How do you differentiate between cabbage and lettuce??!

No comments:

Eternal Life!

Javeda Zindagi  I love this song from the movie, Anwar... just melts my heart every time I hear it. (Courtesy: musicmania from ...