Monday, July 04, 2005

Book Tag

Have been stuck by the book worm tag ;)
[Jammy Rammy, unna gavanichikkaraen http://ramanuj.blogspot.com/]

Number of books owned:
unlike the typical engineering guys, I didnt get to buy any (yes.. absolute zero) of the books during my BTech days. We had a very good College library and if, by chance, we couldnt get our books there, we had our hostel libraries as well. And if I couldnt get it even then, then that book didnt deserve to be read and I wouldnt ;)

And then, I was the library secretary of my hostel in my final year and so, I had access to the choicest of books.. non-academic especially.. and anyways I wasnt too academically inclined :P That must have been the best period of my bibliophilism.

But, then management was a different ball-game.. or book-game.. they gave each one of us all the books required 'brand new' compulsorily at the start of the term . Thus, I have a stockpile of
mgmt books.

And then, I have about 20-30 other books.

Last book bought:
"The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown.
I dont think this book needs any introduction or addendum.

Last book read(ing):
"The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom
Pretty good one.. I'm taking it in slowly.. it is philosophical.

Book in hand:
"Direct From Dell" by Michael Dell
Absolutely simple and common-sensical. Very relevant in this charged-up Computing era. If you want to know how one company, started just a couple of decades ago, has been rocking the world of IBMs and HPs.

My Favorite(s):
sci-fi: "Timeline" by Michael Crichton
humor: "The Inscrutable Americans" by Anurag Mathur
philosophy: "Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand
history and politics: "The Great Indian Novel" by Shashi Tharoor
in a class of its own: "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown
marketing: "Positioning" by Al Ries & Jack Trout
finance: "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert T. Kiyosaki, Sharon L. Lechter
letter-writing: "Letters to the Penthouse" dont remember which series
photography: "Playboy" any issue that you can get your hand to :P

Each of them is a treat to be savored :)

5 books that mean a lot to me:
I dont know if it means a lot or not.. but all the above influenced me in some unique way.. ;)
And apart from them, "The Alchemist", "Tuesdays With Morrie", "Only Love is Real" and last but definitely not the least "Asterix" have made an impact on me.

Books I read as a kid:
Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Chandamama, a li'l bit of Tinkle (I read the entire Asterix and Tintin series only during my engineering!)

Who's next to be eaten by the tag worm:
Every one on Jammy Rammy's frequent-visiting blogs list ;)

5 comments:

Jammy said...

Last book bought: "The Da Vinci Code"
Thanks for buying it. I think I read your book b4 u did ;)

Book in hand:"Direct From Dell"
innum ethana kaalam? Intha booka start panni 4 months aarathu

Impact by Asterix???

Govar said...

The Alchemist? U liked it eh? I somehow hated it, probably because it went so well initially and later ended with some magic and bullshit.

Anonymous said...

jammy
'Direct From Dell'.. its like the Bhagawat Gita.. it is always on hand ;)

yeah! Asterix is quite an insightful book.. The Gauls have a very cheerful spirit and live their lives one day at a time..

They could be fighting amongst each other like mad one minute and the next minute, they will be united in entertaining themselves at the cost of their roman friends.

And their only worry is 'sky falling on their head'. We deal with every small problem as if the sky has fallen on our head...

And lots more... :)

govar
i also wasnt that happy with the ending.. but then, the overall theme of following one's dreams and how the whole world would then conspire to have his/her dreams fulfilled.

Bhaskar

Jammy said...

I knew that "Direct from Dell" is you rBhagawat Gita. I just expected that by now u would be carrying it in your head and not in your hands :P
Nice insights into Asterix. May be I can add a few managment insights....
Asterix is hero of the story, but the actual person behind all the success is the druid. This gives the 2 morals
M1) A successful person is not someone who knows the work, but one who knows whom to get it done from.
M2) The hero is not one who knows, it is the one who executes
Through Obelix,
M3) It's the strongest, but the wisest who get the recognition
M4) Too much of success at an earlier stage would prevent you from enjoying later in life.
Through the druid,
M5) Never let anyone know of your secret... protect your core competence. Otherwise you would become useless.
From the village head,
M6) If you are a fool, make sure you have few fools below you.
From Cacophonix,
M7) Follow your heart and don't mind those who mind.

Anonymous said...

Anna Slim Shady..
ooru la dhaan irukkiyaa.. yenga moochu paechu kaanamaennu paathaen..

naan nalla keeraen baa..

amaan.. adhu enna death pathi aaraichi ellam?? indha term la vaela illiyaa??

anbu thambri,
Bhaskar

Eternal Life!

Javeda Zindagi  I love this song from the movie, Anwar... just melts my heart every time I hear it. (Courtesy: musicmania from ...