Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Valkyries and a Decision

I finished "The Valkyries" sometime back. Thats one of Paulo Coelho's books that is quite obtuse.. He talks of magic, rituals, talking to angels etc... But (one of) the point he is trying to make is - "people end up destroying whatever good they have created" and the root cause of that is "something that happened in one's childhood and a decision they made based on what they thought had happened".. That decision would guide them into the wrong for the rest of their life.

Let me try to explain from my own life... For example, when I was a kid (dont remember the age, but definitely less than 10 yrs old) my mom told me the story of one of her nephews. This guy was very brilliant. He topped his school in studies and sports and what not. His parents sold their possessions to allow him to study in an engineering college (Salem engg college).

He topped all his college exams too.. He got his job through campus placement and was all set to join one of the top companies of India after his graduation. Just a day before his final set of exams, he died from brain fever. It all happened within a day and his parents couldnt even be by his side when he died. They were left totally shattered.

When I heard this story (and witnessed a couple of other incidents, normal worldly incidents like death in the family), I made a decision. The decision was something like I will not be the best. 'Cos if I am the best, I would die.

This decision, made by a kid, had been running my life. And I was not even aware that it was running my life. But if you know me, you can see a pattern in my life. A series of ups and downs, ebbs and troughs.

But when I realised that this is one of the decisions that has been governing my life, and when I 'broke the pact', I got my power back. Now I need no longer be governed by a 7 year old kid. I got the freedom. I can chart my own life. And I can even talk about it!!

This book is supposed to be based on Paulo's real life. Thanks Paulo for letting me into your secrets and letting me rechart my life!!

11 comments:

Deez said...

good work, it surely is an amzing book and has power and wisdom to change perspectives and hence lives.... i have my fav snippets too... :)

go be a star now!

Bhaskar Sree said...

Deez

hey.. you have read this one too?!
thats great.

Thanks! I shall be the star (sun!) that I am :-)

Deez said...

call me a readaholic :p

Govar said...

Hmm I generally dont like Paulo's books... they're too preachy or dreamy, but let me give a shot. I think end of the day, if we sit and introspect what we are doing and if we are in the right track and if it's all worth it... I guess we can take conscious decisions. I kinda decided not to study too hard for the exams after one day of thought... and kinda sticked to it. Don't think I regret that decision. :)

Poo said...

bhaski.... how are you ?

When we realise that one of ur decison (whether right or wrong )is ruling our life we shud immediately start working towards it and thats exactly what i have been doing in the last few days ...but its so diificult ;(

Great to know that you are out of it.

Take care Dear and have a wonderful week.

Bhaskar Sree said...

Deez
huh?! ;-)

Bhaskar Sree said...

Govar
good for you!
yes, conscious decisions seem to be the bedrock of a happy and fulfilled life.

Bhaskar Sree said...

Poo
very well Poo, How you doing?

It could be difficult to change or undo things. It would be easier to get at peace with what you have done and the consequences of it. Then you can start afresh.

Have a great life. Nobody can take it away from you!

Poo said...

i am fine dear :)) Big Big Smiles and you take care of urself bookoholic !!!

Bhaskar Sree said...

Poo
i've heard of Big Bear Hugz....whats that... Big Big Smiles..?!

Poo said...

""" Big Big Smiles..?! """ showing my 36 (or may be less than that)teeth... so BIG BIG smile ...O))

Eternal Life!

Javeda Zindagi  I love this song from the movie, Anwar... just melts my heart every time I hear it. (Courtesy: musicmania from ...