Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Materials of Change

How I wish time just fast forwards itself and sets me down at the end of this year! I have so many plans to complete/accomplish before the end of the year and I want to know and live the end of the year now itself..

But then, at many other times, I'm happy the way things are moving.. or may be I want it to go slow.. cos if it moves any faster, I would be losing out on that much more time to accomplish what I want. This is probably what is called the pull of contradictions.. tension of the opposites by Morrie in the book "Tuesdays with Morrie". (Yeah! I've been reading some books off-late.. and this one is a nice short book.. a good companion on a train or flight journey)

Coming back to the things I want to accomplish, I've quite a small list.. but then it is going to be tough..challenging. Things like buying a house.. not any house.. I already have my eyes set on something and it will be a dream-come-true if I can pull it off.. buying an SUV.. settling some personal stuff.. possibly a legal battle.. etc.. etc..

Which brings me to something else mentioned in the same book.. ['greed, and how we as people put our values in the wrong things'. We put our values in money, cars, clothes, and many others, but we all know that that is the wrong place to put our heart. I’m sure that we have all heard the quote, “When you die, you can’t take it with you".] I would not agree to the term 'wrong', I dont subscribe to the view that being materialistic is wrong. But then, I do understand the hazard of making material things more significant than the intangible things in life. Again, another tension of opposites, as I would prefer to view it!

5 comments:

Jammy said...

Bhasky,
atb for your plans for the year. Morrie seems to have influenced you a lot. Maybe I should try his book sometime.
Regarding materialistic greed, I read this today.... "Men make counterfeit money; in many more cases, money makes counterfeit
men."

Anonymous said...

hey bhaskar,how have u been?
hope u manage to accomplish all of the things you want to!! seems tough at times to get the things we dream of.. but when you know what u really want.. just go ahead and get it!!

Deez said...

1.congratulations -
a. coz u managed to post
b. coz u finished that book.
(i assume u have)

2. u ve put the conflict of material pursuit very well. "When you die, you can’t take it with you"...but as long as u live, it does matters to a certain extent.

Then again "the hazard of making material things more significant than the intangible things in life".... very well written!!

3. All the best, may u accomplish all those plans by the end of the year. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jammy. yeah.. you should try the book. you quote reminds me of something.. Money is a good slave but a bad master..

Thanks Neha. Am doing well. How abt you?

Thanks Vanilla. That hazard is quite dangerous..

Anonymous said...

machi Aravind..
nee sollradhu kareeetu dhaan.. aamaan, chandramooogi la thalaivar enna paadam sollirukkaaru?? ;)
Bhaskar

Eternal Life!

Javeda Zindagi  I love this song from the movie, Anwar... just melts my heart every time I hear it. (Courtesy: musicmania from ...